Background

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

BOOM! POW! You're Unstoppable! Creating a Pathway to Work


Hello, crafty friends.  I wanted to share this card I made using the My Favorite Things “You’re Super” stamp set.  Before I go into the details of the card, I would like to thank Andie, who so graciously not only posts the photos my creative attempts, but also writes the posts as well.  If it wasn’t for her, none of my creations would ever see the blog. Today’s post is one I wanted to write personally.  I also want to share the meaning behind this card and why it was created. I apologize for what I know is going to be an unusually long post, but if you read through you will see it is all done with the purpose of bringing attention to a very good cause.


When I saw the “You’re Super” stamp set, I immediately thought of all the very strong women that I have had the privilege to know in my life. I thought of making cards for all of them and couldn’t wait to get my hands on it.  The super hero girl is just so cute and comes across so determined, just like the women in my life, my personal heroes. 

These women keep me fueled, whether it is blowing off steam about the crazy environment we work in, supporting each other through personal challenges, laughing at things that only we find funny, crying with each other, and carrying each other when we can’t carry ourselves.  The women in my life have faced personal challenges and made it through to keep going and growing.  These women are my friends and my family.  With this post I would like to highlight one in particular, my cousin Shannon.

Shannon, is one of the most intelligent and giving people I know. I am blessed not only to know her, but also be related to her.  When I say Shannon is  “giving” I do not mean that hands out gifts to friends or picks up the lunch bill, although she does do those things; what I am talking about his how she gives back to her community and defends those who may not be able to defend themselves.  She picks people up and helps them stand on their own.

As long as I can remember Shannon has been a champion for those in need or crisis.  The long list of Shannon’s actions to help other includes volunteering with women’s crisis organizations, working in state education, teaching special needs children, and helping to build core values with the children in our family.  Shannon leads by example and continuously strives to find ways to positively impact the world around her. Shannon is one of my personal heroes.

Several months ago, I received a text from Shannon indicating that she and a group of colleagues/friends were working to establish a public charity organization, called Pathway to Work.  The goal of Pathway to Work is to prepare adults with developmental disabilities for the working world.  In late December, Shannon sent an update that Pathway to Work had achieved its 501 (c)(3) status and they are moving forward to helping people who otherwise may not have these opportunities!  The link to the website is provided if you are interested in learning more about Pathway to Work and how you can help further this cause.  Shannon’s determination and desire to help others inspired this card.

I could not be prouder to see Shannon’s accomplishments or happier to know how many people will benefit from the work she and her colleagues will do here.  Who are your heroes?

Now on to the card.  All of the images were stamped from the MFT You’re Super stamp set.  I used my MISTI to do some masking needed to add the shield as it is not part of the primary image and to add the skyline background.  




The image is colored with Copic markers, the sun rays were created with Fossilized Amber Distress Oxide Ink using the MFT Radiating Rays stencil, Broken China Distress Ink using the MFT Cloud stencil, and last, but not least the city scape is stamped using MFT’s new Extreme Black Ink.  The Extreme Black Ink is amazing!  It is the best black ink I have found for Copic coloring.  Unfortunately, as of the time this post is being written the large ink pad of Extreme Black Ink is out-of-stock with MFT.  I am hoping for a resupply soon as I only have the little cube that came in the December card kit.

Thank you all for taking the time to check out this post. Have a creative day.


ETA - I'm entering this card into the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge - Simon Says Layer It Up.

2 comments:

  1. What a powerful design!! Totally love it! So glad that you join the fun over Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Layer It Up” Challenge! Awesome details and design! Super work!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?