Background

Friday, April 4, 2014

An Encouraging Sign


Work has been filled with stress lately- pressure to get things done, pressure because things aren't going right... all kinds of pressure.  I've been doing my best to ward of the inevitable lapse in creativity that often comes with this kind of pressure.  One way was to sit down (after making no time to craft at all this weekend) and make this sign for my desk.  The quote comes from a lecture given in 1976 by Clyde Kilby.  It's like he knew what kind of being I would become and decided to make me a list (I like lists!).  Of course, he didn't know me and wouldn't necessarily know what I'd become- just that we are all so similar.  There's comfort in that too.

The quote was created using Word. I have previously spoken about the process I use to create this kind of word art.  I found a tutorial on the web that explains how to use the text box feature.  I use all these methods for my word art.  Here's an image that shows the text boxes used to create the quote:

I used four different boxes set to "No Fill" and "No Line" so that when they overlap they don't obscure the box next to it.  I simply play around with font type and size until I get a feeling that the quote looks like art.  I'm not super pleased with the "forget" box placement here- a little too high.  However, I didn't notice until I had the project together.  After everything is just right, I print out the quote onto white cardstock to make the frame.  Here's the other details on the project:


What do you think?  Should I forget about myself and get back to work?  I'm going to take that to heart and try to set aside some crafting time this weekend.  Crafting can be the best kind of work, yes?

I'm linking this project up over at the Shabby Tea Room's Week #212: Pretty in Pink challenge, Simon Says Stamp's Monday Challenge: Anything Goes, and the Inspiration Journal's monthly challenge: A Few of My Favorite Things.   These are some of my favorite places to go and see inspiring creations that should light my creative fire.  Come join me!



8 comments:

  1. That is lovely, and I saved the link, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful - I love the shape, papers and your embellishments! Those flowers and die cuts are wonderful. I love the quote. I understand the stress thing and hope to switch off in my craft room tomorrow. Hugs, Karon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. Great typography and printing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an inspiring sign! Thank you for joining us this month at Inspiration Journal. =) I hope you get to carve out crafty time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Andi! Love that quote and how you framed it. Thanks for sharing the process, I'll have to try it. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo pretty, love all the elements you've added!
    Thanks for joining us in the Inspiration Journal monthly challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for joining us for our April Challenge at Inspiration Journal-My Favorite Things!

    Lovely creation Andie! Love your made sent and appreciate the link too!

    ♥ Sue Kment

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely stunning! Beautifully detailed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?