Background

Thursday, November 7, 2013

A Happy Birthday Card


Today I'm sharing the birthday card I made for my mom.  Her favorite color is blue and one of her favorite patterns is plaid.  I turned to my 6 x 6 paper pad of Simple Stories Summer Fresh patterned paper.  Since my Online Card Class, Pattern Play I've really tried to play with patterned paper more. 

I used my Cricut to cut that medallion out.  I didn't write down what I used and so I've utterly lost sight of which cart the cut came from.

The flowers were cut using my Heartfelt Creations Posy dies.  Ultimately, I decided to use a few light blue posies I'd stamped with some Faded Jeans Distress Ink.  That's a bit of green FlowerSoft in the center of those tiny posies.  The sentiment comes from my Tilted Banners stamps and dies set. 

When I'd put together all my patterned elements, I realized that the medallion needed an anchor so I cut a strip of burgundy patterned paper from a scrap and placed it right down the middle of the card.  It really helped and so I ended up with a card that I liked. 


On the inside, I wanted something a little decorative.  I settled on this piece of patterned paper.  The sentiment stamped in Faded Jeans Distress Ink comes from my Stampin' Up Apothecary Art stamp set.  A tiny swirl from one of my sets and a little posy and I think the inside is finished in a lovely manner.  She enjoyed her birthday card and the gift (it was tea- she drinks lots of hot tea even in our 120 degree summers!).

Happy Birthday, Mom!

I've linked this up over at Word Art Wednesday: Challenge #105- Anything Goes .  Come join the fun.


7 comments:

  1. My mother would appreciate all the pattern work. It’s wonderful to see your art. The layout and colors are just beautiful.
    God bless you.
    Carole Robb Bisson
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andie, I knew I recognized those gorgeous patterned papers right away - LOVE them! Your card is amazing and I thank you so much for sharing it in our challenge. God bless you and please stop by again soon!
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    P.S. I have some yummy Freckled Fawn BLOG CANDY!
    www.karen-mycuprunnethover.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card and love the mix of papers! Gorgeous flowers and I wish your Mum a belated Happy Birthday. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome cards! You always work magic using layers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful patterning. I still find myself referring back to that class, so glad you enabled my participation in it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your mom!! Your card is beautiful, what a lovely medallion. Love that collection of designer paper from Simple Stories! Thanks for sharing with us at Word Art Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful card!! Your mom will love it. The colors are gorgeous and so it that die cut! I also really like the pearls. Thanks so much for joining us at Word Art Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?