Background

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Creative Chemistry 102: Sticky Embossing Powder

This technique involved using Ranger's Sticky Embossing Powder.  This embossing powder has a small window after melting where the powder will be sticky and glitter will adhere to the embossed image.  I decided to give it a try using my Heartfelt Creations Delicate Aster stamps.  I thought this might be a good test because the aster stamps are so delicate and intricate. 

I used Embossing Ink to stamp the images and sprinkled the Sticky Embossing powder over the stamped images.  I then heated the three flowers to melt the powder.  When the image was still fluid and hot, I poured Peacock Feathers Distress Glitter.  After allowing the images to cool, the glitter is pretty well adhered to the images. 


This close up allows you to see a couple things about the technique.  First- I'm not sure that a delicate, intricate image will be the best result.  A lot of the detail in these stamps is lost.  Second, Distress Glitter is not "micro-fine" in size.  I think a micro-fine glitter might give a more intricate stamp definition.  The idea that Distress Glitter matches to the tone and palette of the Distress line is very appealing.  After having worked with micro-fine glitter, I'm  partial to the detail it provides.  Distress glitter does not provide that detail- guess it make sense with the whole Distress idea.

Still, I'd recommend the Sticky Embossing Powder if you'd like to try something new.


3 comments:

  1. On one hand so cool, on the other hand I'm so opposed to loose glitter that I don't know if I'd ever bother. Maybe I could borrow yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time! We're seriously going to schedule some get together time. Maybe after the holidays? Scrapbooksteals weekend next year? Something where I can bring glitter and you can introduce yourself in person!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea behind this, but would be feeling the same, that possibly the ultra fine glitter would work better on detailed images. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?