Background

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Creative Chemistry 102: Ink Monoprint



This technique is basically using a stencil as a stamp.  Be sure to use the reverse side of your stencil when doing this technique.  My stencil didn't have an orientation, so it didn't matter.  However, if you use one with word on it, you'll want to ink the reverse side in order to print the letters correctly.

The technique is simple- apply various colors of Distress ink directly onto the stencil.  This is accomplished by pressing the ink pad on the stencil over the craft mat.  Spritz the ink on the stencil to blend the ink before turning over onto your tag and pressing.  My first attempt here- I think I didn't use enough water so the ink beaded up before spreading onto the tag. Not the best print.





My second attempt was better (on the backside of the tag).  I used Faded Jeans, Broken China, an Vintage Photo ink for the monoprint.  After that ink was dry, I applied Vintage Photo, Frayed Burlap and Walnut Ink Distress inks with the Ink Blending tool.  I spritzed the final result to lighten some areas as a method to finish it off.



I'd like to try this with a different stencil, one with a little more detail.  I think the trick is to get the right liquid nature to the inks without being too fluid and squishing out the sides. 


1 comment:

  1. A great way to add interest in two different ways with the stencil! TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?