Background

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Surfish Mini-book


I honestly didn't think that this girly mini-album could justify a knarly surfing mini-book title.  It's a little too feminine and a little short on real surfing pictures.  Nonetheless, it is a mini-book that I *finally* put together for my lovely Girl Scout surfer.   The font is old, old, old from my Sizzix Tag-a-long and is called Sunset.



Katie was lucky enough to join her Girl Scout troop on sponsored trip to Camp Surf a couple of years back.  You heard correctly- these pictures are two years old...  and I had to leave older pictures on the table to scrap these.  This kind of dedicated-to-the-bigger-project-of-an-album crafting time is not consistently available.  Still, I have pre-made mini-books that are beggin' to be used (and thus make their way out of my Scrapbox).




So, I got busy putting this one together.  I won't bore you with too much detail here.  The mini-album was pre-made years ago when I worked at a LSS.  The kit came in from a vendor and I taught the class.  It was a simple, follow-the-instructions class, but fun to do with a group of women. 

A good bit of the embellishments came from the historical stash- trying to use that stuff up.  I've little recollection as to the sources except to say they include some Making Memories rub-ons (how do those things still work after a decade?), Quick Quotes emphemora, etc. 


I ended up adding pages to the book by covering 6 x 6 pieces of cardstock with printed paper that seemed to match the feel of the original mini-book pages. 


Most of the pictures are very close or in their original 4 x 6 printed form.  This is largely because there are so many group shots and I needed the surface area to make things work.  This is also the reason that the pages are so very simple.  Formula:  Matted picture + very small embellishments + patterned paper = DONE.

I've a few more pages to show you.  The trick is getting them all photographed, uploaded and posting to the blog.  I have set a goal for myself to squeeze this in over the next week.  This will *I warn you* result in picture heavy posts with little discussion.  Still, these simple layouts are an inspiration to my crafting and I'll hope they are to yours as well.


1 comment:

  1. Oh I love this album - its is wonderful. Great colours and papers and such great fun photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?