Background

Friday, July 5, 2013

A Very Happy Birthday




I needed a very special birthday card for my close friend Keri.  You've seen some pictures of her kid birthday parties where she occasionally has asked for a little crafty help and in turn I've been able to post her crafty ideas here on the blog.  Needless to say, this crafty one and I celebrate our friendship each month with a night out and I just new I wanted to do something special for her birthday.

I went shopping in the stash for something on the red side.  Keri just seems red to me.  Even though she's totally remade her entire house this past year with a decidedly deep mustard yellow, modern turn.  Still, once a color has been assigned, the great and wonderful introvert is unlikely to change, so Keri still seems red to me.  I found this piece of rusty pink that seemed a little more girlish and went to town.  The front face of the card is simply a Vintage Photo Distress Ink edged piece of patterned paper.  The paper created the look on the front of the card almost by itself.  I had some glassine paper flowers on hand and layered two inside a circle cut from a piece of coordinating patterned paper.  The sentiment was printed to a scrap of tan-creamish linen textured cardstock and trimmed to look a little like ribbon.  A few small pearls, covered with Scattered Straw Distress Ink to change their color, were placed to balance the card design.  Don't know if that worked, but I like it.

The inside was where I needed a trick.  Keri recently picked up a Silhouette.  She's been borrowing cuts off and on for a couple of years and I think she finally decided this was a tool for all seasons.  Since she has a little 3 year old, her kid crafting days are not over.  I just couldn't resist a little birthday celebration and purchased a gift certificate for the Silhouette store.  I made this handy layered sentiment inside complete with a pocket and the gift pull out.




The Gift Card from Silhouette is purchasable online.  I snagged a screen image of the card and adjusted the color to match my scheme in Word.  Its a real simple way to jazz up something as hum-drum as a gift card (not my favorite gift, but in this case it works wonderfully).

Happy Birthday, Keri!  This is well deserved and I know will be put to good use.

I've linked this card up to the Inspiration Journal's  July Monthly Challenge:  Happy Birthday America & Other Birthday Celebrating.  Come join the fun!


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful card! I love the paper you used for the front - gorgeous and that fabulous flower. It's beautiful, and what a lovely way to give your friend a gift too - so fun! Weather here still so hot - 104f yesterday with the humidity. I was out in the garden for just 20mins and got bitten by mozzies! I hate this kind of heat, my gardens so need weeding and mowing, but I can't cope out there in that heat. See, now Andy needs to be here so he can at least mow the lawn for me! Of course I wish he was here full stop though :-) Sorry for waffling on - have a fabulous weekend, my friend:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andie what a sweet card! I wholeheartedly agree when you see certain colours for certain friends, I think I collect things for them based on those colours. The glassine flower works brilliantly with your rose distressed paper. Bravo!
    Thanks for joining us for the celebrating Birthdays Challenge at the Inspiration Emporium.

    Hugs

    Spike

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?