Background

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Welcome to a baby girl


A good friend at work solicited my help in creating a card that had multiple purposes.  She wanted to write a letter to the new baby girl, she wanted it to be able to be posted to a scrapbook or displayed in a frame, etc.  I re-watched the quilting instructions from my recent Pattern Play online card class. 

I found MME's The Sweetest Thing- Tangerine as a 6 x 6 paper pad and the colors seemed so soft and the prints small and varied.  It seemed perfect for this technique.  The quilt is made on a 1 1/2 in x 6 in strip of white cardstock.  I used my self healing cutting mat and placed the bottom of the strip where the two diagonal lines meet.



Then, I glued 3/4 in. strips of paper on the diagonal, alternating from left facing to right facing until the entire white cardstock is covered.  I used a tape runner, but any type of glue would work.  I used a pair of scissors to trim off the excess portions of the quilted piece.

I edged the quilted piece using my Ripe Persimmon Distress Ink.  To make the easel card, I scored 5 x 10 in. piece of white cardstock at 4 in. and 6 in. to create the easel effect.  I glued the 5 x 7 in. front face of the card to the 4 in. x 5 in. folded piece approximately 1 1/2 in. from the top.  I finished the card with a 3/4 in. strip of coordinating paper and a flow made with my Heartfelt Creations Posy die.    The flower will help the card to stand up.


I worked through a little series of improvements on the final product with my coworker.  In the end, the look was almost exactly the same, but structurally it was more sound.  The card was delivered to the mama and new baby girl and tears ensued.  Ahhhhh, that was TOTALLY worth it!

Andie

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow - this is so beautiful. The quilting technique is fabulous. A good friend of mine does lots of quilting and I was looking at the patterns the other day thinking they would make fab cards!! Love this. TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?