Background

Friday, March 22, 2013

Patterned Paper Class- Day 1


I'm going back through and trying to post the work I've completed through the week on my online card class, Pattern Play.  This card was made following the formula that Kristina provided.  She cautioned against the busyness that often puts one off of using different patterns together.  Basically, using a combination of a large/medium pattern with a smaller pattern and a solid or monochromatic pattern can create the kind of contrast that is appealing rather than the jarring results that can occur when you combine patterns. 

My attempt isn't a wildly different look.  However, I loved this blue print with people dancing.  It totally intimidated me, however.  As much as I liked it I couldn't envision a use that didn't cover it's lovelyness or bore you out by using only solid cardstock somehow.  So, I took a leap.  The polka dots serve here in my mind as the almost solid contributor and the stamped background on the sentiment serves as my small pattern.  The Scattered Straw Distress Ink around the edges of all pieces tie the elements making them more appealing to me.  The bow adds a focal point (to me).  I am not sure it's my best work- by happenstance I tried a similar combination in this card and it seems to have worked better.

The papers are from the Glitz 6 x 6 paper pad, Vintage Blue.  The ribbon is from the stash and the sentiment is from a Close to My Heart stamp set I've had for years.

By the way, if you haven't commented on our recent post regarding our blog milestone, please click the link provided.  Blog candy is available to you should you win the random drawing!

Andie


1 comment:

  1. Love the bottom layer paper - its very French chic! I would have difficulty hiding this too, but I love how you have used it. TFS

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?