Background

Friday, January 11, 2013

Granna's Pillowslips

The Hungry Little Caterpillar Pillowslip



My mother, Sue, has always sewn household items.  In fact, in my closet right now resides at least two dresses she had sewn for me for Kindergarten that she passed to me.  My Katie wore them for approximately 2.5 seconds because I didn't (and probably still don't) know how small I was for my age.  I was a twin and tiny, skinny one at that.  

When my mom was pregnant with her first baby, her friends and family put on a terrific baby shower for her. She received many gifts, but of all the wonderful gifts a favorite gift was given by a cousin- a homemade baby pillow with a matching baby pillowslip (read: pillowcase). It was so cute that is was her most favorite gift. When the baby was born, -surprise- it turned out to be twins (my sister and I). Seeing as she was now a pillow short, my mom had to make a matching pillow and pillowslip. Over the years, she handmade baby pillows and pillowslips as shower gifts.  Baby pillows are not hip for children past a very young age.  This required a conversion to making the children in our family unique pillowcases for their beds.  We now reside in a sea of pillowcases.  Katie right now has 3 pillows on her bed, Tinkerbell, cupcakes and the one that matches her bedding.  There are more in the cupboard. 

In an effort to feed my mom's own contagious habit, I've set up an Etsy shop for her.  You can find her at Granna's Pillowslips.  She can do special requests as well including custom embroidery.  Go check her out today.

Andie

1 comment:

  1. Andie - these are so cute - love the designs on them both. A lovely post to read too - aren't Grandmas great! TFS and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?