Background

Friday, December 14, 2012

Baby Doll




My Katie has, alas, grown too old for baby dolls.  It is a sad fact of motherhood- they all grow up.  Never one to let an opportunity to look for the bright side pass, this means that I must look around for other opportunities to mother/smother (is there much difference?) little girls.  Fortunately, I have a young niece, Mackenzie, to focus on.  During our trip in October to Colorado to visit my Grandmother, I decided to help an aging grandma out and finish a crochet project for her.


 Grandma had purchased a Mary plastic doll.  She had previously made some crocheted dresses for one of her other grand-daughters.  However, as she gets older her arthritis makes doing some of these things just a little harder.  So she requested some help.  I made the white dress first using the Mary dress pattern.  The white yarn is also from Mary.  This yarn is so super soft.  It is a must have when making clothes for this baby doll.


 



 The first dress went together so quickly I made this yellow dress using some I Love This Cotton yarn from Hobby Lobby.








I altered this pink dress just a bit to make it more of a sundress look (no sleeves).  This is also made using Hobby Lobby's I Love This Cotton brand.











After they were finished, we went to Joanns and found these paper flowers and ribbon to sew to the front finishing the dresses off nicely.  The entire doll and set will be a gift to my niece, Mackenzie.  I think she is going to love it. 







When I make something to give away, I am always hopeful that the person will actually put that something to good use.  My hope is that Mackenzie is asking Auntie for some replacement dresses in a couple of years because of all the wear and tear this baby has been through.  I'm looking forward to Christmas, aren't you?


Andie

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Andie - these are just sooo cute! Hope you have a fabulous weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so precious. A good deed done, and a lucky little girl that gets these. A

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?