Background

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Original ScrapBox

In a recent post regarding the CK scrapbook convention, I mentioned my Original ScrapBox.  When Brandy wrote our very first post (could it really have been in October of 2010?), she mentioned my Original ScrapBox.  That first tease should have spurred me on to quickly post about this wonderful organizational tool.  However, somehow I made it to almost two years later without even mentioning my wonderful box. 

I live in a cozy 1600 sq. ft. house.  It was lovely when we purchased it 19 years ago.   The layout is perfect for me- second story, separate dinette where the dogs spend most of their time, high ceiling in the living room making it look bigger than it really is.  The coziness of my home is comforting.  The lack of storage space is not.  For years, my crafting supplies were crammed into every spare nook and cranny.  When I started looking at storage solutions, there weren't many that could help.  My only spare space was in what should be my dinning room- one third of the living room space which has high ceilings, but is a narrow space.  It also meant that my craft storage would be seen from the front door by anyone who walked into my house and by anyone who I had the great fortune of entertaining.

You might agree with me that most craft storage would not work. Nothing plastic (ughhh!), or colorful or even utilitarian no matter how useful was going to "fit" into my space. I really struggled for several months. Money was extremely tight and I just kept at it, saving my pennies and hoping for an inspiration. That inspiration came at the 2010 CK Scrapbook convention in the form of an energetic gentleman at the Original ScrapBox booth. He showed me the big WorkBox with two doors full of space and when I explained my tight situation he mentioned that he even had a MiniBox. All of these different storage solutions had lovely wood doors that shut away the mess. I left the booth with stars in my eyes imaging all the nooks and crannies my craft supplies would come pouring out of should a ScrapBox arrive at my house.




I was so serious that I had my hubby come to the convention the next day and see for himself.  He agreed that this was just the right combination of style and storage.  He even agreed (see- he notices more than I think) that the MiniBox was just too small and that we should target the full size WorkBox.  Thus began my penny saving in earnest.  It took me several months, practically no trips out for dinner and certainly no new clothes, but later in the year I was the proud owner of a cherry wood veneer WorkBox.

To say I love my ScrapBox- that is an understatement.  To say it is the perfect storage solution for me- that is even more of an understatement.  Everything about this system is perfect for me.  I no longer have craft storage anywhere else. 


All my sewing supplies are inside this box. All my supplies for kids crafts are inside this box.  All the supplies that I use to create stuff for Sunday school are in this box.  No more hiding places.  Another great thing about my ScrapBox is that I know where stuff is.  There are labeling places on each bin.  I haven't got around to actually inserting a label mainly because I can remember where stuff is.  Have I mentioned how cool my ScrapBox is?


The simple fact of the matter is that my ScrapBox is equal to the kind and customer-oriented service provided by the folks over at The Original ScrapBox.  When my crates arrived (we elected to save some dollars and assemble the box ourselves), I began hopping around exclaiming, "Put it together, put it together!" while clapping my hands loudly.  It didn't take Dan long to actually get the box constructed.  However, when we attempted to install the wood veneers on the doors (the lovely cherry wood facade) it became clear that the veneer

was warped and would never assemble correctly.  Since it was the weekend, we schemed all weekend how we were going to ensure that this company made good on our problem.  To our surprise and pleasure, the response from customer service was immediate and efficient.  There was no questions or investigation...just a polite "Where can we send the replacement?"  and "Of course, Mr. Miller that shipment will be a no charge to you."  My replacement veneer was installed in just a few short weeks. 


Fast forward to the CK convention this year.  The same nice man who talked me into a ScrapBox gave me this Ribbon Box for free!  For Free!  It holds 27 rolls of ribbon.  It even stores a multitude of flat-wrapped, packaged ribbon.  I promptly installed this box onto one of the shelves of my Scrapbox.  Now, I am even more organized.  I know!  I didn't think that was possible either!

The prices are not small.  However, this is a piece of furniture in my living room.  Paper crafting and all other sorts of crafty stuff is a part of who I am.  I will always accumulate some stash of craft supplies, whether they are properly organized or not.  Having my stash organized and available, yet shut away for Sunday night Bible study is part of what allows me to create beautiful cards and other crafts on very short notice.  From that standpoint, I consider the cost of my ScrapBox small in comparison.  Check them out!  http://theoriginalscrapbox.com/

Andie




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?