Background

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Happy May Day


Just a quick post today to catch up on some paper crafting done earlier in the month.  As a child, we would make May Day baskets out of paper cups.  The baskets would be filled with popcorn and some kind of chocolate (usually malted milk balls) and a red licorice handle.  We would take the baskets to our friends and families house, place them at the front door, ring the doorbell and hide.  It was always a ton of fun.

When I had a family of my own, I wanted to keep the tradition going.  As a working mom, at first I just didn't know enough other families so we didn't make baskets.  However, as both kids grew older we began to celebrate.  Growing up in the midwest (rural southeastern Minnesota), everyone had at least heard of May Day baskets and weren't exactly surprised by them.  Here in Arizona, things were different.  Often we would have to knock and stick around, just to check if the recipents understood what was happening.  For the first few years it was just my mom and dad and maybe one neighborhood friend who would receive a basket.  Finally, we had the great fortune of meeting and getting to know the McClearys.  Keri's daughter, Alexis, was in my son, Timothy's, kindergarten class.  They made a connection and we began hanging out.  Keri's daughter, Emme, is the same age as my Katie.  Keri grew up in South Dakota and so she knew what a May Day basket was.  In fact, Keri's mom Vi would make baskets and deliver them and hide.  The joy to watch the children come rushing out of the house with the intention of catching the May Day basket delivering culprits!!  Keri lost her mom last year and I really wanted to celebrate this year, as much for the joy of celebrating May Day as for remembering what a great grandma Vi was.  During loss, I think it is important to remember the good things and May Day, Vi and the McClearys are all very good things!

So, here's my pictures.  They were gobbled up so quickly I only got a bum picture of one without it's red licorice handle.  However, I think the flower and tag decoration is well represented. 



Happy May Day!
(belated)







Andie

1 comment:

  1. Thank for sharing such beautiful memories and wonderful traditions with us. Being from the south, we didn't do May Day baskets either, but I just might do this next year.
    KathyJo
    http://skrappindiva.blogspot.com
    My Cricut Craft Room Design Team Member

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?