Background

Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Hunger Games

My children have been chirping to me to read the Hunger Games.  A couple months back I decided I probably should read the book if nothing else than to see what it was about.  I like to keep track of what my kids are reading and I secretly enjoy the chit chat with my teenagers when we've read the same book.  They reveal more of themselves than they intend or something.  So, when I read and thoroughly enjoyed the book, the pressure shifted from me to my husband.  During a recent vacation trip, Dan joined the ranks of those who have read the book. 

All that to say that this weekend transformed into a Hunger Games focused "event".  My daughter decided to invite three friends and we all (which included another set of parents, Dan and myself, my son Tim and Katie with her three friends) traipsed over to theater yesterday.  I couldn't let the event go without some craftiness, could I?


 I made these pendants for each of the girls.  The antique brass pendant was purchased at the local Hobby Lobby store.  I simply printed off the mockingjay logo and cut it out to fit into the pendant.  The entire thing was covered with Crystal Accents.  You can see this particular pendant has a couple of air bubbles.  That's error on the part of the maker... I should have had a pin close to pop those very early on in the application of the Crystal Accents.  These took over 8 hours to dry, but easy and simple result that thrilled my set of 13 year old girls.












You can see where the ink bled after application of the Crystal Accents in the pendant on the upper left.  More error on the part of the maker.  I added a jump ring and leather cord to finish the pendants off.  Overall, they are very cute.

After the movie, we returned to my house for a feast.  Here they are, about to start.


 Dinner consisted of an Orange Chicken over rice that mimicked the meal shared by Katniss and Cinna when they first met (in the book, of course).  The biscuit you see is an imagined version of the kind of drop biscuits Katniss and Prim would have eaten in their poverty.  The peas were a last minute add in order to have some color on the plate (and something to eat in case the orange chicken wasn't tasty).  All the girls finished what was on their plates.  Maybe (!?) that means it was good?



Dessert was an Apple-Goat Cheese Tart similar to what Petta would eat once they went stale in the bakery.  Ours weren't stale, but fresh from the oven and I think they were actually the hit of the dinner party. 

I was one tired girl after all this festivity.  It was certainly worth it because I think we had four happy girls at the end as well.  This, my friends, is what we live for!  I hope you have a chance to see the movie and, if not, that you might try the recipes yourself.  They are different from our normal, everyday food.  They were delicious!


Andie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?