Background

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Anticipation and Advent

I grew up in a really small town in Minnesota.  When I say really small town, I mean it as there were only 625 people in the entire town.  We had to travel 10 miles (wow!) to the nearest big town (of approximately 12,000 people) to get groceries, gas, and anything that might resemble a Walmart.  At Christmas time, our church celebrated Advent with a reading and lighting of a candle each Sunday for the four Sunday's preceeding Christmas.  We didn't always have or go to the Christmas Eve services and the meaning or significance of the Advent season wasn't exactly clear. 

I enjoy candles.  My husband says I don't have people over I have "candle lighting opportunities".  He's not wrong.  So, it comes as no surprise that the idea of Advent would be something that I would be drawn to.  When the children were little, their Gram and Papa would bring home Belgium or Swiss chocolate Advent calendars from trips abroad.  We rarely remembered to open a window each of the 24 nights, but the kids thought that was alright since splitting a 3/4 inch piece of chocolate four ways was never too much fun.  As they have grown older, the celebration of Advent waned and didn't have the same emphasis.  I've toyed for several years with making a crafty Advent calendar like this one.  Nothing seemed to express the right sentiment or capture the not-fully-formed idea in my head. 

Our current wreath
When our Sunday school leader, Liz, decided to have each class focus on Advent last year, I approached it as one more activity.  But once I started shopping, I found that I wanted to make an Advent wreath for our family.  Then, I found that reading a passage from the Bible and lighting the candle at dinner was fun and refreshing while it drew us closer as a family.  This meant more dinners at the table where we heard the voices of the kids instead of rapid inhalation of their dinner as they moved on to other things.  This year, Advent has been a constant reminder to slow down, enjoy the season and reflect on the things that matter.  Jesus came to save us from bustle and strife.  Why would we celebrate him just one day this month?  Why wouldn't we want to stop and think of what He gave up to come here and save the world?


It just so happens that Brandy's Christmas card this year was also an Advent celebration.  The smudge of tomato sauce on the #1 is proof we've actively used her card.  It sits here on our refrigerator.  We've been decrementing the small white cards all month.  She really did a fabulous job and I didn't know if we could get her to post here, so I posted for her.  One of the many blessings for which I am thankful and reminiscent of this Christmas.




It's almost here.  Just one more day.  All the anticipation and preparations will be consumed, enjoyed and savored.  This year I thank God for His work in me, for those around me which constantly prove a blessing, and for the ability to recognize all of it.  It's almost here.  Just one more day...




Andie

1 comment:

  1. Such a cute idea for an advent calendar! Great job

    Thanks for joining us at Just a Scrappin!
    ~Liz Just a Scrappin DT
    enchantress2614.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?