Background

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Etched Glass Canisters

One of the really cool tricks that one can do with a Cricut is etching glass.  These canisters were for a wedding shower present. 

Instructions for using vinyl for etching can be found here.  The "A" was cut from vinyl using the Shift-Loop Dee Loo font found in the Lyrical Letters cart.  The "stencil" portion of the cut was used to stick onto the glass rather than the "A".  Glass etching cream can be found at your local craft store (Hobby Lobby, Joann's, Michael's, etc.).  I have used the Armour Etch.  One of the tricks I use is to try to keep the actual etched surface area to a minimum.  This cream doesn't work well if you are covering larger areas.  One more trick when using the etching cream- let the cream sit as instructed, rinse as normal and pat dry.  When the glass is dry, you can see imperfections in the etching.  If any exist, apply more cream and let sit as instructed. 
Either way, glass etching can be a fun way to jazz up a set of glass cereal bowls (we've got a set with our family names, Dan, Andie, Tim and Katie etched into the side), glass casseroles, etc.  Give it a try and see how easy and fun etching can be.

2 comments:

  1. I still think this is so cool. I'm glad that I now have the instructions at my fingertips. Maybe once the dust clears in my house I will have to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keri-
    You can call and "rent" my Cricut for etching anytime. Cost- holding baby Axl for ... let's say 30 minutes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your kind words. Isn't it fun to encourage one another, even from a distance?